This is a faithfully reproduced 3'x5' polyester First National Flag of the Confederacy as originally adopted on 4 March 1861 with 7 stars representing the original Confederate States made up of the "Cotton States." As more states joined the Confederacy, more stars were added in true American custom. This is the "Stars and Bars" flag versus the "Stars and Stripes" flag of the United States. After First Manassas, General P G T Beauregard sought a more distinct flag for combat units to reduce confusion on the battlefield (between the US and CS flags) with the result being the Confederate Battle Flag. The First National Flag was officially replaced by the Confederate Congress with the 2nd National or "Stainless Banner" on 1 May 1863. See images of original flags for reference.